So last week we set about to start building our bed. We (Chris) created a blueprint of how we're going to put it together and we bought all of the materials before we started to realize how much we had to do first before we could actually start to build. In order to start building the bed we had to make the side walls. To make the sidewalls we had to finish putting back the last of the side panels. To put on the side panels, we had to first put back the rear metal walls. To put back the rear walls we needed to finish the wiring, insulate and clean/paint the panels. So we started by scrubbing, rust converting, and painting the rear panels.
|We also filled the rear area with insulation
|They looked pretty nice back in place
Once the rear plates were back up, we began building the side walls. Our first use of wood! This involved making 2x4 studs to attach to the walls so we could fill between them with insulation.
|We cut the studs into two pieces in order to work around the chair rail,
one on top and one underneath it.
|I gave my Dad this laser level for father's day a few years ago.
It was just what we needed to ensure the 2x4's were straight!
We filled the area between the studs with insulation. Chris' Grandfathers' staple gun made this part go nice and quick. I'm ready to be done with the insulating phase. So itchy!
And finally, late into the night (well, ok it was like 9) we got the plywood up to finish the back walls!
|We plan to add a windowsill on top of the walls.
|This is the outline of the bed frame. The mattress goes in the middle and
the side areas are for storage.
Our original plan was to make the frame 20" high to accommodate an 18" water tank, however once we put it temporarily into place we realized it was way too tall. Chris would hit his head on the ceiling trying to climb in and I would need a running start to get up on the bed. So we went back to researching the water tank and decided on a 70 gallon one that is 13" high. This allowed us to make the bed frame 15" high.
Once we got the frame supports in place we put the frame on top and then discovered that the walls are narrower at the top than at the bottom. This resulted in a 1/4 inch gap between the side and the wall, go figure.
We didn't want this gap to forever be there to steal and wedge pencils, earrings and other small and important items so we ended up having to move the side 2x4 over 1/4" in order make it flush with the wall.
|You can see the wedge in the corner where the overlap occurs
We also were able to install the last of the roof panels and the very back panel.
|Here's all of the back panels installed and the completed bed frame
|The 2x2 forms a frame to hold up the plywood that goes under the mattress
|I caught Chris taking a siesta tonight when I returned from work.
P.S. Some people have mentioned that they have tried to post a comment on the blog and haven't been able to. Please let me know if you're experiencing this issue by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting on our facebook page. We'd love to hear any comments or thoughts you have on our project!